Wednesday 20 April 2011

If not myself, then who am I?

                                                      Me with tennis ball I found in the park

This was the question I was asking a lot on Monday evening and quite a lot of yesterday too. It wasn't that I was trying to be a philosophical doggy Descartes, just that I felt so strange, not like my self at all. I had to keep checking in the mirror that I actually was myself because I couldn't quite believe it. This is what happened: on Monday morning, Mummy took me to the vets. I love the vet, I don't care what anyone says, it is great there because there are dog smells, treats and lots of friendly people. All of the same was true this time, except this time, I stayed there and Mummy left. She looked at me a bit intense when she left but I didn't think anything of it because that nice tall man was holding me and he smells of other animals. So she went, and I went downstairs. Fun! Lots of other types of animals down there like cats, and a new kind that I have smelled before but never seen, which the girl down there told me are called rabbits. The nice tall man left me for a bit, then came back, gave me a stroke and fuss (but at the same time was doing something a bit uncomfortable to my neck) then suddenly I felt all woozy, then I was asleep. I remember thinking I don't want to be asleep because I want to look at all the other animals, but I couldn't help it, I was suddenly so tired. Next thing I knew I was awake and looking at bunnies again, but there was this funny lump between my back legs that hadn't been there before. I was still a bit too tired to really investigate it though so I just played with the nice girl and looked at bunnies.
Then mummy came to pick me up but for some reason I couldn't be bothered to really be nice to her. I didn't want to go and leave the bunnies, but she meanly put me in the stupid car. Normally I like to look about in the car but I just flopped. Where was all my energy? Was this feeling something to do with the new lump between my legs?

So we got home, but it wasn't really home as I knew it. Everything seemed kind of strange. I couldn't settle even though I was so tired it was unbearable. Mummy kept trying to be near me but I didn't want her near me. She put me on the bed but I didn't want to be on the bed. She gave me a new tennis ball - I wanted that obviously. But I couldn't really be bothered to do much with it. She kept saying it was ironic that I was so obsessed with my new ball just as I'd lost my old ones. Mirror mirror on the wall, what is she on about?!

Why is she annoying me so much today? Why am I scared? Why can't I take my eyes off the front door? Why can't I stop licking this strange lump between my legs and why does it hurt more and more? These were my thoughts. Reader, I was scared and confused.

That night was awful, the next day gradually got better. It is only today that I feel like I've finally remembered what life is all about (playing, cuddles, walks, people, treats). It's like I've been to puppy hell and back. But now I don't even mind the new thing between my legs any more. It seems to be getting a bit smaller - Mummy keeps looking at it all the time, which makes me feel weird, and Jeanie is always sniffing it now, then pouncing on me. Such an annoying girl sometimes. It hurts a little bit but really not much.

Whatever happened to me at the vets? I guess I'll never really know, since I don't understand most of what Mummy and Daddy say unless it starts or ends with Henry. But they were worried and now there not, so I guess everything is alright.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this brilliant blog! I too have had my chocolate labrador to the vets tody also for the very same reason and i can certainly relate this feeling that the anaesthetic has changed how he is even if the side effects do go from mother to mother its horrible seeing our little ones we love look so restless and disorientated i just hope henry is feeling much better!

    ReplyDelete